Friday, January 6, 2012

Food Traditions for the New Year


Many families have traditional foods that they prepare to bring luck for the New Year.
Epicurious has created a post that celebrates these traditions:
                 
It provides the history and country(s) of origin for these annual culinary customs. For our family, with Austrian & Hungarian roots, pork on New Year's Day has always been an annual requirement. 
                          
"The custom of eating pork on New Year's is based on the idea that pigs symbolize progress. The animal pushes forward, rooting itself in the ground before moving."

What should you avoid?  According to the Epicurious article:
Lobster is a bad idea because they move backwards and could therefore lead to setbacks. Chicken is also discouraged because the bird scratches backwards, which could cause regret or dwelling on the past. Another theory warns against eating any winged fowl because good luck could fly away.

Read More:  http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/holidays/newyearsday/luckyfoods#ixzz1ihZB7pJS
~ ~ ~

2 comments:

Fi said...

Now there's a coincidence! Last night I was listing post ideas and #8 was 'recipes & food'.
Very interesting post. I have Austrians on my husband's side and now have a clue as to why they love eating pork!

Alex Daw said...

Dear TCasteel - Thanks for following my blog. I really appreciate it. This looks such a fun blog and I've learned something already. I had no idea that particular food was recommended for the New Year. So there you go. I'm still learning after all these years ;) Alex