Zion Strict or Particular Baptist Chapel, Union Street, Trowbridge, originated in 1813 with the secession of 41 worshippers from the Back Street congregation in consequence of their disapproval of the doctrines preached by its newly appointed minister. The original premises on Wicker Hill, near the Town Bridge, was rented from Thomas Timbrell, and the congregation worshiped in the upper room. Our ancestor, John Warburton, was the first settled pastor of this church being appointed in 1815. His popular preaching overfilled the premises so that in 1816 the congregation was obliged to purchase a site in Union Street, and there erected a chapel capable of seating 700.
Zion Chapel graveyard was closed in 1856, but Zion Baptist Church still welcomes members today.
Zion Baptist Church, Trowbridge c.1910
Zion Baptist Church, Trowbridge c.2002
Source: 'Parishes: Trowbridge', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 7 (1953), pp. 125-171. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=115466 .