Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - Jamesburg Style

When I was visiting my father's hometown of Jamesburg, NJ, as a teenager, I thought this old, gothic style house made of green tinged stone was so cool and would be a great place to live....
until my father told me it was the mortuary.

 
Intravatolo House: A Gothic Revival House with unusual character given by the use of a green-tinge stone. Its dormers were once hung with slate and its gables are steeply pitched. It is one of the few high-style large stone houses in Jamesburg. It was built by P. H. Pownall and the large stone barn at the rear with its slate-covered cross gambrels was originally used as part of his mortuary business. The house underwent major renovations in 2003.    (http://www.jamesburg.net/)
- -

3 comments:

Joan said...

Indeed, it is a gorgeous house. The green tinge, puts me in a mind of fairy tales and such.

Sanjay Maharaj said...

Curious to know what is it being used for now?

Kathleen Brandt said...

Mortuary or not...I love it.
Thanks for sharing.